Akismet is one of the very useful plugins in WordPress in keeping a website or a blog spam free. Installing Akismet API Key is very easy in WordPress. It just takes a couple of minutes to install and configure it.
By default, Akismet plugin will be installed after you install WordPress in the Cpanel.
If it is installed, click on activate the plugin.
If it is not installed by default, follow these simple instructions:
- Go to dashboard, click on plugins and click on add new
- Then type Akismet in the search box
- Next click on Install Now
- After installing, click on Activate
How to get Akismet API KEY for free:
After activating the plugin, click on Set up your Akismet account
2. Click on Get your API key
(this will take you to Akismet website )
3. Click on GET AN AKISMET API KEY
4. Create an account by entering your e-mail, username and password, then click on Continue
(or you can simply click on log in and scroll down then click on google account)
5. After logging in, click on Add Basic Subscription
(Ignore name, card number etc)
6. Just drag the price to $0
7. After dragging it to $o, click on Create Subscription
Then an AKISMET API KEY will be generated
8. Copy the key
9. Now go back to Wordpress dashboard. Paste the Akismet API key and click on Connect with API key
10. Leave everything to default and click on Save Changes
That’s it, you have successfully configured Akismet API key.
After configuring it, normally you can approve genuine comments. If it a spam comment, Akismet will take care of it.
(comments in the spam folder will automatically be deleted after 15 days).